For a long time, the cure for diabetes type 1 and type 2 has relied on agonizing insulin shots for patients or insulin infusion via mechanical pumps. Regarding this, experts have been creating artificial pancreatic beta cells with the he…
Retail Savings & Investments in Brazil: Coronavirus (COVID-19) Sector Impact
The Coronavirus (SARS-CoV-2) outbreak, dubbed COVID-19, is first and foremost a human tragedy, affecting millions of people globally. The contagious Coronavirus, which broke out at the close of 2019, has led to a medical emergency across the world, with the World Health Organization officially declaring the novel Coronavirus a pandemic on March 11, 2020.
Fears surrounding the impact of COVID-19 have already significantly impacted the global economy, with key markets across the world losing 20-50% of their value for the year to date. Many economists and institutions have cut their forecasts, with consensus global GDP growth currently at 2.6% for 2020, and many experts predicting the potential onset of recessionary environments.
The IMF anticipates a 6.1% decline in Brazil's GDP in 2020, while unemployment will rise to 14.1%. This will impact the country's wealth industry.
This report focuses on the impact of the coronavirus outbreak on the Brazilian economy and the country's retail savings and investment market. It also highlights the measures adopted by the government to combat COVID-19. Based on our proprietary datasets, the snap shot contrasts GlobalData's pre-COVID-19 forecasts and revised forecasts of total retail bond, deposits, equities and mutual funds holdings in terms of value and growth rates. It also analyses the effects on HNW wealth, examining the importance of different industries as a contributor to HNW wealth.
- Brazil's retail savings and investments are forecast to expand by just 0.5% over the course of 2020 as the economy has come to an almost complete standstill thanks to the impacts of COVID-19. Retail equity and mutual fund holdings are expected to take the brunt of the economy's slowdown, with respective declines of 23.2% and 8.6% anticipated.
- Retail deposits and bond holdings are set to fare better than initially expected courtesy of a flight to safety away from risk assets. However, more pronounced declines in risk asset holdings mean GlobalData's total retail holdings forecast for 2020 is 4.6 percentage points (pp) lower than before the onset of COVID-19.
- HNW wealth is forecast to grow by only 0.8% during 2020. However, the effects on the different segments that make up the HNW market will be disproportionate. The financial services sector - the largest contributor to HNW wealth - has already taken a significant hit, as indicated by the 44% decrease of the BM&FBOVESPA Financials Index for the year to date.
- The healthcare and tech industries are expected to hold up more robustly, but these sectors have a notably lower contribution to HNW wealth.
Reasons to Buy
- Make strategic decisions using top-level revised forecast data on the Brazilian retail savings and investments industry.
- Understand the key market trends, challenges, and opportunities in the Brazilian retail savings and investments industry.
- Receive a comprehensive insight into the retail liquid asset holdings in Brazil, including deposits, mutual funds, equities, and bonds.