Japan Biosimilar- Active Players In Quest of a Specialty & Niche BS space
Table of Contents
* Biosimilars (BS) – One of the key weapons for Government to curb healthcare cost in Japan
* Uptake of Filgrastim and Lantus BS in Japan - Better than Small molecule generics—Key reasons
* A slow start of Remicade BS “NK”- Will it change in near term or take time?
* “Abenomics” initiatives to Promote BS use- How will it change the current scenario?
* BS use must to curb healthcare cost- A forward Pressure on “Chukiyo”?- Japan early than US in approving “mAb” biosimilar- at What Price?
* Upcoming next opportunities in biosimilar space in Japan beyond key Onco/RA drugs and Post 2020…
* Licensing activities in biosimilar space in Japan-
* Current Status of pipeline of Each Active company in the BS space: What is in and what is left? Are some still in the dilemma of entering the BS space?? Most of the companies have cherry picked couple of biologics from the full basket
* Launch timeline and Our view on Each potential key opportunity in Biosimilar space in Japan based on
* Regulatory/Development investment - JP dosage strength of originator vs. US dosage strength of Originator
* JP Market size and Reimbursement/NHI Price of Originator
* Expected no. of players in the biosimilar space in Japan, Innovator strategy in Japan, Re-examination period expiry
* Key challenges for each biosimilar opportunity in Japan
* Niche BS opportunities in Japan
* Factors driving biosimilar penetration in Japan – Government incentives to prescribe “BS” is key.
* JP specific factor-Use in DPC hospitals
* Reimbursement under high cost medical care Government benefit programme.
Price difference for small molecule generic use vs. biologic - how big role it will play for biosimilar penetration?
* Therapy Specific Factor-Acute vs. Chronic/ Pediatric vs. Adult
Support therapy vs. treatment therapy Physician experience of using class of therapy drugs…
Launched Biosimilars In Japan:
Filgrastim (Gran) Bs:
Filgrastim biosimilar Japan - Neutropenia Market dynamics, Intensified Competition in Filgrastim Biosimilar Space?
* Launch of Pegfilgrastim by KHK in Japan- How will it impact market dynamics for Filgrastim biosimilar?
Dosage Strength: Comparison of each available BS vs. GRAN (Originator) – Does one need the photocopy of a JP originator product to get approval - A Myth?
What type of Bridging study was done by Sandoz for JP approval of its Ex-Japan approved Filgrastim BS?
* Insight From The Clinical Studies Submitted For Regulatory Approval Of Gran Bs
* Dosage strength comparison of Filgrastim BS vs. GRAN BS-
* Regulatory studies submitted for “Made in Japan” vs. “ Made for Japan” GRAN BS Teva/NK’s GRAN BS Fuji Pharma/Mochida GRAN BS Sandoz/Sawai GRAN BS
* NHI reimbursement pricing – Trends for GRAN biosimilar
% price cut to Originator- Impact on NHI reimbursement price to biosimilar
For Sandoz, Late entry did not result in any NHI reimbursement price disadvantage???-Implications Observed Impact Post two years of Launch in Crowded Filgrastim BS market-
* Estimated volume share vs. Gran - Same as the best-selling generic small molecule penetration in Japan….
* Impact of “Made & Tested in Japan” vs. “Imported by Japan” on Filgrastim BS market share dynamics post two years of launch
* G-Lasta launch and uptake impact on Filgrastim BS market
Slow Uptake Post One Year In Market But Switch Data And Expected Government Incentives For Bs Use Will Change Picture In Next Two-Three Years
* Findings from JP approval of First complex mAb - Remicade biosimilar in Japan
* Extrapolation of Indication expansion- possible or not? What studies needed/submitted?
* Details of clinical studies submitted for Remicade biosimilar “NK” approval
* PMS studies and label of Remicade BS
* NHI reimbursement price to Remicade biosimilar-
* Role of JP clinical studies
* Originator NHI Price cut in Next NHI price revision (April-2016)
Remicade Biosimilar Japan Market Dynamics- Role Of Phiii Study In Respective Indications- Only Ra study carried out
* Remicade use in hospitals
* Remicade use in DPC hospitals
* Remicade biosimilar use may reduce working capital of hospitals to some extent
* Co-pay needed for Remicade treatment in Japan- High cost healthcare reimbursement benefit has a key role to play- Reforms under discussion-April-2016 price revision may change current co-pay benefit dynamics
* Competitive landscape of Remicade biosimilar-
* Nippon Kayaku’s entry in RA market
* Nichi-Iko’s late entry
Lantus Biosimilar- Japan Perspective Early Uptake Of Lly Bs Encouraging- Fujifilm Lantus Bs- The first Insulin “Made in Japan” on the way…
* Regulatory studies submitted for Lantus BS approval in Japan- Only one Ph 3 study included JP patients, else all studies on Foreign patients submitted for approval.
* NHI reimbursement pricing of Lantus BS in Japan
* Early uptake encouraging and better than EU- Probable reasons??
* Competitive Landscape in Japan
* Change in Market dynamics of Lantus in Japan- DPC use of Lantus.
Lessons From Other Launched Biogenerics Progress In Japan Since 2009 & Other Potential Niche Bs Opportunities
* Launched biosimilar in Japan- Uptake Varies per Therapy area
* Growth Hormone - Erythropoietin (EPO) - Uptake vs. which opportunity poised best for highest penetration?
* EPO- DO market forces allow this biosimilar market to grow like EU??
* Japan – Anemia market Dynamics- Trend of market share of key EPO in 2014
Autoimmune And Oncology Biosimilars: Jp Specific Opportunity Other Than Key Complex Mab
Autoimmune Biosimilars: Ra Market – Share Of Key Ra Mab Differ In Japan Vs. Ww Market
Enbrel BS – Next opportunity in RA space after Remicade
Humira -a limited no of players in Japan? - Probable Reasons
Actemra and Cimzia- Opportunities beyond 2020 and more attractive?
Patent expiry (Indication wise JP patents, Reexamination period expiry) and Competitive Landscape of Autoimmune biosimilar in Japan- Market dynamics will be different for Remicade/Humira/Enbrel biosimilar despite targeting similar key markets
Oncology Biosimilar In Japan - Herceptin Followed By Avastin Will Be The First In The Market
* Herceptin Biosimilar- CLEOPATRA success and MARINE failure makes it an interesting opportunity- A Next mAb opportunity to watch out for in Japan
* Big Oncology Focused Japanese Pharma Giants- DO they follow AZN type of product specific BS deal- to strengthen their Oncology NCE franchisee?
Patent expiry (Indication wise JP patents, Reexamination period expiry) and Competitive
Landscape of Oncology biosimilar in Japan- Era starts with Expected launch of Herceptin biosimilar in 2016/2017in Japan
Other Niche Opportunities In Autoimmune Therapy Area
Regulatory Approval Requirement For Complex Mab Biosimilar In Japan
* Japan biosimilar Regulatory Guidelines: Key Take away
JP Requirement: Reference Product, Interchangeability/Substitution, Pharmacovigilance
JP Requirement: PMS for Biosimilar
* Somatropin BS
* Epoetin Alfa BS
Label for biosimilar in Japan
Licensing/Consolidation Activities In Biosimilar Space In Japan-
Current Status of pipeline of Each Active Company in BS space:
What is in and what is left?
Some are still in a dilemma whether to enter?
Most of the companies have cherry picked couple of biologics from a full basket
In place for most of the JP Innovator + GE companies- Local GE companies still under dilemma of entering
* JP specific hurdles and drivers-
* Govt. measures to increase use of generics comes under high cost medical care benefit system- What to expect in next scheduled NHI price revision???
* DPC hospitals- Changing scenario
Companies Covered: Select Japanese Companies Active In The Biogenerics Space
JCR Pharmaceuticals: A Pioneer in Space with Healthy Partners. Now thrives in Regenerative Medicine (Table 29,30)
Meiji Seika Pharma (MSP) – Trastuzumab Race- May not be the first one (Table 31)
Fuji Film - Kyowa Kirin Biologics (FF-KKH) - Looking beyond Domestic Opportunities, First step in that direction by FKB238 JV with Astrazeneca (Table 32)
Nichi-Iko - Aspiring to Capture Overseas Markets As Well, Plans to file Remicade BS in US in 2018 (Table 33)
Mochida: Now Equipped with Full Basket for Being a Top Biosimilar Player in Japan (Table 34)
Nipro Pharma: Not Much Development Following First Success
Yoshindo: A ‘Three Step’ Approach to Build a ‘Bio Company’
Nippon Kayaku - Pioneering ‘New Age’ Of Biosimilars by First launching Remicade BS in Japan- A slow start but situation will change soon (Table 35)
Mitsubishi Tanabe: Late Entrant But With Many Strengths
Sawai: Intends to Establish Sales team in Biosimilar Field in next few years
Towa: May Venture in the Biosimilar Space in near term
Daiichi Sankyo - Premium Generics Business. Will Prioritize Biosimilars- Ph III for Enbrel BS started in 2014
UMN Pharma - Transforming Vaccines Heritage into New Generation Biologics but NO major progress in recent past
Kissei: Focus to be a Niche Player in BS space
Kyowa Hakko Kirin: Gearing up for Bigger Pie- AZN JV is the first step
Aska Pharmaceuticals - Barriers to Gain from Partner’s Pipeline
Toyobo Biologics - Eying Biosimilars CMO Business
Gene Techno Science- JP Rising star in biosimilar and biobetter space (Table 36)
Fuji Pharma- Dynamic Specialty Pharma Focusing on Biosimilars
Itochu Chemical Frontier- A trading house with New role in Biosimilar value chain
MGC Pharma- A Bio-pharmaceutical CMO
Annexure-1: Active companies in biosimilar Space in Japan -Domestic JP Cos, Foreign Companies in Japan
Annexure-2: Year wise Partnership in Biosimilar Space in Japan
Annexure-3: Biosimilar Guidelines Adopted by Various Countries
List of Tables
Table 1: Originator JP Dosage strength, Launch timeline and our view on each Potential biosimilar opportunity, Key players, and Key challenges
Table 2: Other Key JP Specific opportunities in Complex Mab biosimilar area
Table 3: Opening Opportunities in Biosimilar Space in Japan
Table 4: Japanese Companies in the Biosimilar Space
Table 5: Local vs. Overseas Clinical Studies Submitted for JP approval by each BS player
Table 6: Mochida- Filgrastim BS studies submitted for Approval
Table 7: Nippon Kayaku- Filgrastim BS studies submitted for Approval
Table 8: Sandoz- JP Filgrastim BS – same as US dosage strength- Studies submitted for JP approval
Table 9: NHI REIMBURSEMENT pricing trend of GRAN, FILGRASTM BS and G-LASTA
Table 10: FILGRASTIM BS – Competitive landscape – Market strategy of each player
Table 11: Sales Trend of Filgrastim BS/GRAN/G-LASTA
Table 12: Clinical development of Remicade biosimilar – Clinical studies data submitted for JP approval
Table 13: Clinical Data Comparison of CT-P13 vs. INX in RA
Table 14: Lantus, Lantus XR and Insulin Glargine “BS”- Dosage Strength/NHI Price
Table 15: Lantus BS Estimated Volume share in Japan/EU market post Launch
Table 16: Clinical studies submitted for Lantus BS approval in Japan
Table 17: Other Key Biosimilar Opportunities in Insulin area in Japan
Table 18: Launched biosimilar in Japan- Uptake Varies per Therapy Area
Table 19: Anemia Market- Market share and sales of Erythropoietin
Table 20: Niche opportunities other than complex mAb
Table 21: RA Biologics sales Trend Japan 2010-2014
Table 22: Other Niche Opportunities in Onco/Autoimmune therapy area
Table 23: Japan IP landscape of Key biosimilars focusing on autoimmune Disease
Table 24: Japan competitive landscape of key biosimilars focusing on autoimmune disease
Table 25: Japan IP landscape of key biosimilars focusing on oncology disease
Table 26: Japan competitive landscape of key biosimilars focusing on oncology disease
Table 27: Co-pay Slabs in Japan
Table 28: Revised Pricing of key biologics in Japan
Table 29: JCR Pharmaceuticals: A Pioneer in Space with Healthy Partners. Now thrives in Regenerative Medicine
Table 30: Meiji Seika Pharma (MSP) – Trastuzumab Race- May not be the first one
Table 31: Fuji Film - Kyowa Kirin Biologics (FF-KKH) - Looking beyond Domestic Opportunities, First step in that direction by FKB238 JV with Astrazeneca
Table 32: Nichi-Iko - Aspiring to Capture Overseas Markets As Well, Plans to file Remicade BS in US in 2018
Table 33: Mochida: Now Equipped with Full Basket for Being a Top Biosimilar Player in Japan
Table 34: Nipro Pharma: Not Much Development Following First Success Yoshindo: A ‘Three Step’ Approach to Build a ‘Bio Company’ Nippon Kayaku - Pioneering ‘New Age’ Of Biosimilars by First launching Remicade BS in Japan- A slow start but situation will change soon
Table 35: Mitsubishi Tanabe: Late Entrant But With Many Strengths
Table 36: Sawai: Intends to Establish Sales team in Biosimilar Field in next few years
Table 37: Towa: May Venture in the Biosimilar Space in near term
Table 38: Daiichi Sankyo - Premium Generics Business. Will Prioritize Biosimilars- Ph III for Enbrel BS started in 2014
Table 39: UMN Pharma - Transforming Vaccines Heritage into New Generation Biologics but No major progress in recent past
Table 40: Kissei: Focus to be a Niche Player in BS space
Table 41: TaKyowa Hakko Kirin: Gearing up for Bigger Pie- AZN JV is the first step
Table 42: Aska Pharmaceuticals - Barriers to Gain from Partner’s Pipeline
Table 43: Toyobo Biologics - Eying Biosimilars CMO Business
Table 44: Gene Techno Science- JP Rising star in biosimilar and biobetter space
Table 45: Fuji Pharma- Dynamic Specialty Pharma Focusing on Biosimilars Itochu Chemical Frontier- A trading house with New role in Biosimilar value chain MGC Pharma- A Bio-pharmaceutical CMO
List of Charts
Chart 1 : Neutropenia Market Dynamics Change in Last One Year
Chart 2: Japan Neutropenia Market – Market share of each key player
Chart 3: Volume share trends of GRAN and Filgrastim BS
Chart 4: Japan Anemia market- Trends of Market share of each player
Chart 5: Japan Anemia market – 12 month cumulative market share Partners. Now thrives in Regenerative Medicine
Chart 6: RA biologics Market share
Global Biologics and Biosimilars Market Insights, Forecast to 2029
Published: 22-Sep-2023 Price: US 4900 Onwards Pages: 115
A biologic is a medicine made using a living system, and historically this was often an animal. Most products being developed as biosimilars are recombinant proteins, or proteins derived from genetically engineered DNA. In this report is a biologic defined as proteins, peptides, hormones or antibodies drugs production by bio-engineered technology, but does not include a vaccine.
A biosimilar in this report is a biologic medical product which is copy of an original product that is manufactu......
Global Biologics and Biosimilars Industry Research Report, In-depth Analysis of Current Status and Outlook of Key Countries 2023-2028
Published: 14-Sep-2023 Price: US 3380 Onwards Pages: 126
Market Overview of Global Biologics and Biosimilars market:
According to our latest research, the global Biologics and Biosimilars market looks promising in the next 5 years. As of 2022, the global Biologics and Biosimilars market was estimated at USD XX million, and it's anticipated to reach USD XX million in 2028, with a CAGR of XX% during the forecast years.
Biosimilars are biomedical products that are almost identical to the original products made by different companies. ......
Global Biosimilar Drug Market Insights: Impact of COVID-19 and Future Expectations to 2028
Published: 01-Aug-2023 Price: US 3260 Onwards Pages: 125
Biosimilar therapy is defined as a therapy that is highly similar to approved biopharmaceuticals. They are made by converting biopharmaceuticals made from living cells in the laboratory into large-scale production molecules. This is quite different from the general treatment method, which is identical to the reference small molecule drug. The reason behind this is that it is impossible to make a copy of the same biologic drug.
The Biosimilar Drug market revenue was 16199.84 Million USD in......
Global Oncology Biosimilars Market Insights, Forecast to 2029
Published: 07-Jul-2023 Price: US 4900 Onwards Pages: 110
Biosimilar is the identical copy of oncology biologics used for the treatment of cancer and officially approved for the treatment of cancer. These molecules are cost-effective, efficient, and have the same ability as biologics. These molecules are easy to manufacture as compared to biologics and can only be manufactured after patent expiry. Earlier there were various patented biologics available in the market but nowadays most of the patents have expired and few are on the verge of patent expiry......
Global Adalimumab Biosimilar Market Insights: Impact of COVID-19 and Future Expectations to 2028
Published: 04-Jul-2023 Price: US 3260 Onwards Pages: 125
Adalimumab was a first fully humanized monoclonal antibody approved by US Food and Drug Administration (FDA) in 2002. Clinical efficacy and safety of adalimumab has been assessed in various trials in rheumatoid arthritis, ankylosing spondylitis, psoriasis, psoriatic arthritis, Crohn's Disease, and ulcerative colitis. It is one of the major sales success among biological and still one of the greatest blockbuster amongst monoclonal antibodies.
The Adalimumab Biosimilar market revenue was 2......
Global Follow-On-Biologics Market Insights: Impact of COVID-19 and Future Expectations to 2028
Published: 22-Jun-2023 Price: US 3260 Onwards Pages: 114
The Follow-On-Biologics market revenue was XX Million USD in 2022, and will reach XX Million USD in 2028, with a CAGR of XX% during 2022-2028.
This report elaborates the market size, market characteristics, and market growth of the Follow-On-Biologics industry, and breaks down according to the type, application, and consumption area of Follow-On-Biologics. The report also introduces players in the industry from the perspective of the industry chain and marketing chain and describe......
Biosimilars Market by Drug Class (Drug Class (Monoclonal Antibodies (Adalimumab, Infliximab, Rituximab, Trastuzumab), Insulin, Erythropoietin, Anticoagulants. rhGH), Indication, Region - Global Forecast to 2028
Published: 15-Jun-2023 Price: US 4950 Onwards Pages: 306
“The biosimilars market is projected to grow at a CAGR of 17.8% during the forecast of 2023-2028”
The global biosimilars market size is projected to reach USD 66.9 billion by 2028 from USD 29.4 billion in 2023, at a CAGR of 17.8% during the forecast period. Factors such as regulatory approvals, favorable reimbursement policies, rising demand for cost effective biosimilars is driving the market growth.
“The monoclonal antibodies produc......
Global Biosimilars-On-Biologics Market Insights: Impact of COVID-19 and Future Expectations to 2028
Published: 06-Jun-2023 Price: US 3260 Onwards Pages: 130
The Biosimilars-On-Biologics market revenue was XX Million USD in 2022, and will reach XX Million USD in 2028, with a CAGR of XX% during 2022-2028.
This report elaborates the market size, market characteristics, and market growth of the Biosimilars-On-Biologics industry, and breaks down according to the type, application, and consumption area of Biosimilars-On-Biologics. The report also introduces players in the industry from the perspective of the industry chain and marketing cha......
Global Biosimilars Partnering Terms and Agreements 2010 to 2023
Published: 01-Jun-2023 Price: US 3995 Onwards Pages: 150
The Global Biosimilars Partnering Terms and Agreements 2010 to 2023 report provides comprehensive understanding and unprecedented access to the biosimilars partnering deals and agreements entered into by the worlds leading healthcare companies......
Value for Money
We believe in "optimum utilization of available budget and resources". While servicing our clients' (your) market research requirements, we keep the same approach in focus to help you get the best value for your $$s.
Ever Growing Inventory
Ranging from the smallest feasible / required data (datasheets, data facts, SWOT analysis, company profiles, etc) to full research reports that help you make decisions, our inventory is updated almost on a daily basis with the latest industry reports from domain experts that track more than 5000 niche sectors.
One Stop Solution
Need a custom research report on medical devices market? Require all available business intelligence on 3D printing industry? Exploring F&B sector of a particular country/region? RnRMarketResearch.com is your one-stop-solution to all market intelligence needs. We not only offer custom research and consulting services, we also "bundle" reports to meet your needs and help you fetch the data analysis you require for your business.
Dedicated Client Engagement
Not limited to only "finding" relevant reports for you, our client engagement team dedicates its efforts to understand your "business need" and accordingly maps available research data to help you move forward. Call "your" client engagement executive any time of your day and get your questions answered in order to make the correct business decision.
Saving Time and Efforts
Simply share your research requirement details with us and let us do all the hard work to find required intelligence for you. When you add up our "one stop solution" and "dedicated client engagement" services mentioned above, you obviously know the time and effort saving you do by working with us.
Working with Fortune 500 organizations, we understand the importance of being flexible for payments. Share your payment terms with us and we will surely match up to them to ensure you get access to required business intelligence data without having to wait for the payment to be done.
Post-Purchase Research Support
Have questions after reading a report / datasheet bought through us? Not sure about the methodology used for data available in the research? Talk to us / Share your questions with us and if required, we will connect you with the analyst(s)/author(s) of the report(s) and ensure you get satisfactory answers for the same. Need more data / analysis / report(s) on the topic of your research/project? The RnRMarketResearch.com team is here for you 24X7 to support you with your post-purchase requirements.
Subscription Offers & Packages (Get in touch with us for more details - [email protected]
/ +1 888 391 5441 )
- Ad Hoc
- Pay - as - you - go / Bucket Subscriptions
- Fixed Cost for #of reports
- Customize / Personalize as per your needs