For a long time, the cure for diabetes type 1 and type 2 has relied on agonizing insulin shots for patients or insulin infusion via mechanical pumps. Regarding this, experts have been creating artificial pancreatic beta cells with the he…
Advanced connectivity, electronics and software are hallmarks of modern vehicles. A typical connected car contains up to 70 ECUs, and about 100 million lines of code. As vehicles expand in terms of technological complexity, they become an attractive target for cyber-criminals.
Security demonstrations such as the famous Miller and Valasek Jeep Cherokee example have provided enough evidence that connected cars should be viewed as a potential attack target. But how does an industry built around making and selling cars pivot to delivering secure software and services?
"Cybersecurity in the connected car: technology, industry, and future" examines the security implications of increasing connectivity and software complexity in connected & autonomous vehicles. It discusses the following elements of automotive cybersecurity:
- Attack surfaces in connected and autonomous vehicles
- Core vulnerabilities
- Regulations and policies (US, EU, China, Japan)
- Existing market solutions (OTA updates, IDPS, firewalls etc.)
- Emerging solutions (ECU Consolidation, app sandboxing, autonomous security)
- Security by design
Key questions addressed
The report addresses the following strategic questions, the answers to which will determine future of vehicle cybersecurity in the near foreseeable future:
- What does the automotive cybersecurity landscape look like today?
- What makes vehicles vulnerable?
- What's in it for the hackers?
- What are the worst-case scenarios?
- Where should automakers invest to cyber-proof connected vehicles?
- Can the CAN bus be secured?
- What is the relationship between security and privacy?
- Is legislation the answer to raise the bar of security standards in modern vehicles?
- What standards are being developed around vehicle cybersecurity?
- Can security by design ever be a commercial reality?
- What are the available market solutions and who are the key players?