For a long time, the cure for diabetes type 1 and type 2 has relied on agonizing insulin shots for patients or insulin infusion via mechanical pumps. Regarding this, experts have been creating artificial pancreatic beta cells with the he…
Retailing in Australia, Market Shares, Summary and Forecasts to 2021
Australia's economy proved one of the most resilient global economies during the global financial crisis and though it has slowed down as it adjusts from being driven by mining and commodities to consumer spending, GDP growth is forecast to rise over the five years to 2021. Economic strength combined with rising employment and wages, and a buoyant housing market makes Australia an attractive market for migrants. These tend to be at the young family life stage which augurs well for retail as they are likely to be high spenders on retail categories as they support expanding family needs.
Retail sales are set to grow by nearly US$60 billion between 2016 and 2021 as the population increases and the economy continues to grow. Some of this growth will be driven by price inflation but volumes will also rise as consumer confidence remains strong. The online channel is outperforming all other channels and its share of total retail spending will grow its share of the market from 7.1% to 9.6% by 2021.
Food and Grocery market is set to grow by 4.9% CAGR by 2021 to reach US$154bn as the population continues to grow and retailers expand and move online creating even more access for the population. Just under half of the market (54.6%) is in the hands of just two local retailers, Woolworths and Coles, while the rest of the market is more fragmented.
The electricals market is being driven by a strong housing market and new technology leading to growth of 2.7% CAGR between 2016 and 2021, reaching a value of US$28.79bn. Online has high penetration in this sector as it is price and brand driven and it is easy to compare prices and attributes online. By 2021 penetration in the sector will have grown from 19.1% to 27.5%.
Australian's spending on health beauty will grow by 3.8% CAGR to US$23 billion by 2021. Spending in the health segment is nearly double that of beauty with Australians being very health conscious. Both segments are growing fast online and the interest in social media and blogs concerning health and beauty is contributing to this growth.
Growth in the home sectors is being driven by the strong housing market and consumer confidence. Home is set to grow by 4.1%CAGR between 2016 and 2021 reaching US$42.5 billion. Online, like other sectors, is performing very strongly too and will account for 10.2% of all spending in the sector by 2021.
The report "Retailing in Australia, Market Shares, Summary and Forecasts to 2021" provides data for historic and forecast retail sales, and also includes information on the business environment and country risk related to Australian retail environment. In addition, it analyzes the key consumer trends influencing Australian retail industry.
In particular, this report provides following -
- In-depth analysis of the latest trends in consumer shopping, covering the factors driving shopping, consumer insights, market dynamics (covering 26 product categories).
- The report also details major retailers in each category group with their product proposition analysis and market positioning in 2016 along with recent key developments.
- Market insights based on consumer trends, changing economic and demographic factors, technology innovations, and other macroeconomic factors.
- Retail sales and the fastest-growing product categories, which include Clothing, Footwear, Books, News and Stationery, Electrical and Electronics, Food and Grocery, Health and Beauty, Furniture and Floor Coverings, Home and Garden Products, Music, Video and Entertainment Software, Sports and Leisure Equipment, Jewelry, Watches and Accessories, and Luggage and Leather Goods.
- Qualitative and quantitative insights of changing retail dynamics across various channels.
Companies mentioned in this report: Kmart stores, Target, Big W, Myer, David Jones, H&M, Rivers, Rebel, Coles, Cotton On, BWS, Aldi, Supa IGA /Foodland, IGA, Liquorland, Foodworks, 7-Eleven, Cellarbrations, JB Hi-Fi, The Good Guys, Harvey Norman, Apple, JB Hi-Fi Home, eBay, Chemist Warehouse, Woolworths Supermarkets, Amcal, Priceline Pharmacy, Chemmart, Terry White Chemists, Guardian, Discount Drug Stores, Bunnings, IKEA, Mitre10, Spotlight, Domayne, Fantastic Furniture.
- Australian retail market is forecasted to grow at a CAGR of 4.1% during 2016-2021
- Clothing & footwear to produce steady, but slowing, growth in forecast period
- International brands increasing competition in the market
- Retailers are using new formats and propositions to drive sales
- Private labels are gaining popularity with consumers
- Big retailers to face challenges with Amazon's expansion
- Electricals market to register significant growth in the forecast period
- Fashion retailers threaten big players in homewares
- Home improvement and gardening retailers maintain their lion's share in home category group
Reasons to buy
- Gain comprehensive knowledge on 26 product categories in Australian retail market and develop a competitive advantage around consumer behavior trends from the start of your supply chain
- Explore novel opportunities that will allow you to align your product offerings and strategies to meet demand by analyzing the vital economic and population trends, and key consumer and technology trends influencing the retail market
- Investigate current and forecast behavior trends in each category to identify the best opportunities to exploit
- Analyze the recommended actions to align your marketing strategies with the crucial trends influencing consumer behavior
- Understand the fastest-growing categories in the market with insights on the performance of individual product categories, across key channels from 2011, with forecasts until 2021
- Analysis of key international and domestic players operating in Australian retail market - including store counts and revenues that give you a competitive edge and identify opportunities to improve your market share.